2016 Hyundai Tucson Limited FWD
A Small but Mighty SUV. A fuel-efficient, compact sport utility vehicle.
- Feels solid
Hyundai’s small SUV joins the big leagues with a new, more efficient powertrain and a refined new chassis to go along with its handsome, creased sheet metal. The old Hyundai Tuscon was a solid, if not outstanding, contender in the growing small SUV and crossover field. But with more and more entrants in this market each year, Hyundai needed to update the Tuscon to keep it a leading value proposition.
Changes for the 2016 model year move the Hyundai Tuscon decidedly upmarket. Importantly, this small SUV doesn’t look or feel cheap. The small, turbocharged 4-cylinder engine is responsive and torquey even at low rpm, and the neat 7-speed dual clutch “EcoShift” transmission does a good job of keeping the engine turning at the right speed. Paddle-actuated manual shifts are a sporting touch, and they happen quickly enough to remind us that when it comes to dual-clutch action, Volkswagen isn’t the only game in town anymore.
That 7-speed transmission helps fuel economy as well, with the 2016 Hyundai Tuscon Limited FWD now rated at 27-mpg combined. A drive-mode selector allows you to choose normal, eco or sport settings.
Compared to a Ford Escape or Subaru Forester, the Tuscon is smaller on paper, but the Hyundai’s well-designed cargo area and wide lift gate make loading large items easier. This little SUV can easily transport an Ikea trip’s worth of boxed dressers and tables.
Those looking for the quickest or sportiest small SUV might want to check out the Forester with its 2.0-liter turbocharged engine, but if you’re shopping for a small SUV that gets decent gas mileage while still checking off all the practicality boxes, the Hyundai Tuscon is worth a look.
Warranty/Service: 5 year/60,000 mile new vehicle warranty, 10 year/100,000 mile powertrain warranty, 7 year/unlimited anti perforation warranty, 5 year/unlimited roadside assistance
Visit the Hyundai website
Base Price: $29,900
As Tested: $29,900
- 25 / 30 mpg
- 7.6 sec
- 175 hp @ 5,500 rpm
- Engine: Turbo-GDI DOHC 16-valve with CVVT Inline 4-cylinder
- Horsepower: 175 hp @ 5,500 rpm
- Torque: 195 lb-ft @ 1,500-4,500 rpm
- Transmission: 7-Speed EcoShift Dual Clutch
- Curb Weight: 3,580 lbs
- Wheelbase: 105.1 in
- Length: 176.2 in
- Width: 72.8 in
- Height: 64.8 in
- Brakes: Power-assisted 305 mm x 25 mm ventilated disc
- Suspension: Front: MacPherson struts with coil springs. Rear: Independent multi-link with coil springs
- Traction: 4-wheel, 4-channel, 4-sensor with Electronic Stability Control (ESC) with Traction Control System (TCS)
- 0-60 mph: 7.6 sec
- EPA City: 25 mpg
- EPA Highway: 30 mpg
- Combined MPG: 27 mpg
- Seating Capacity: 5
- Safety: Driver and front-passenger advanced airbags, driver and front passenger seat-mounted side-impact FR airbags, Anti-lock Braking System (ABS), Electronic Stability Control (ESC) with Brake Assist and Traction Control System (TCS)
- EPA: 24 / 31 mpg
- 0-60: 6.3 sec
- Horsepower: 201 hp @ 6,000 rpm
- Top Speed: 130 mph
- EPA: 19 / 24 mpg
- 0-60: 8 sec
- Horsepower: 290 hp @ 6,400 rpm
- Top Speed: 118 mph
- EPA: 25 / 33 mpg
- 0-60: 8.7 sec
- Horsepower: 148 hp @ 6,200 rpm
- Top Speed: 122 mph
- EPA: 24 / 31 mpg
- 0-60: 0 sec
- Horsepower: 148 hp @ 6,000 rpm
- Top Speed: 0 mph