Classic luxury in a landmark that recalls the cultural history of Sonoma.
This inn, located on the plaza in Sonoma, dates to 1843 and was originally the residence of Don Salvador Vallejo, the last Mexican commandant of Sonoma. Hotelier/restaurateur Claude Rouas --- the proprietor of Napa's Auberge du Soleil and several Piatti restaurants --- remodeled the 27-room property some years ago and turned it into a fabulous B&B-style hotel. The result is exquisite. Twenty-three of the rooms are in the main hotel, and four bungalows are separate from the main building. All of the accommodations feature four-poster beds and private balconies, as well as mini-refrigerators and DVD players. Overall décor embraces soft lines and bold color: turquoise, chartreuse, yellow. A pleasant courtyard features a swimming pool and provides outdoor seating for the El Dorado Kitchen, a hip restaurant located on the hotel's ground level. For casual dining, the El Dorado Corner Café offers morning coffee and pastries, followed by a light menu throughout the afternoon and evening.