Rest, relaxation and refinement in a historic Garment District location.
The area between 25th and 40th Streets, running from 5th Avenue to Broadway, is known as the Garment (or Fashion) District. The Fashion Institute of Technology and Parson's School of Design, as well as button, lace and textile traders, line the area. Some of these businesses are new, while many are as venerable as the Colony Arcade building itself. Built in 1912, it was home to various milliners, those who rendered cloth for industrial and commercial production in what was then the "Millinery District." The Refinery Hotel that now occupies this building has succeeded in bringing together the modern, fluid and ever-evolving vibe of New York City while preserving historic character. The ground floor was once home to a ladies lunch and tea room, created by enterprising businesswoman Winifred T. McDonald. A tea lounge evoking the thirties era now resides in tribute. Fixtures and moldings from the original building remain intact, and millinery equipment is on display. A house restaurant serves breakfast, lunch and dinner; as well, there are a rooftop lounge with retractable cover and an elegant indoor bar with a fireplace, fountain and wood ceiling constructed from the Colony Arcade's water tank. Rooms ranging from Queen Suites to the Atelier with twelve-foot ceilings are equipped with amenities such as iHome docking stations, chargers, radios, alarm clocks and Frette linens and bedding. Vintage touches include marble mosaic-floor bathrooms with polished brass and antique bronze.