Wilshire Boulevard Temple

This temple was the first Jewish congregation in Los Angeles during the late 19th century.

The Byzantine dome atop the Wilshire Boulevard Temple in Los Angeles, California

Wilshire Boulevard Temple is the oldest Jewish parish in Los Angeles, dating back to 1862, when it was formerly known as Congregation B'nai B'rith. Its ornate interior is decorated in black marble, gold, rich mosaics and Biblically-themed murals created by Hugo Ballin who was hired by Warner Bros. studio chief Jack Warner. The landmark is readily recognized by the immense Byzantine dome, which was constructed during the edifice's renovation in the 1920s. The temple is not only a cornerstone of the Jewish community, but is also significant to the greater public, welcoming people of all religions and ethnicities to partake in events and volunteer programs.

The temple has expanded over the years and has a location in West Los Angeles as well as two summer camps in Malibu — Camp Hess Kramer and Gindling Hilltop Camp — for Jewish youth. 

Attraction Information

Address

3663 Wilshire Blvd. Los Angeles CA 90010 U.S.

Contact

213-388-2401 Attraction’s Website

Attraction Details

Family Landmark

Wilshire Boulevard Temple is featured on

Map

What's Nearby

blog comments powered by Disqus