An academy that was an educational institution preparing young men for careers and instructing women in the art of being a lady.
History buffs will enjoy the Clinton Academy, which was built in 1784 in the Georgian-style. In its early days, the establishment educated men and women who came from Long Island, New York City, New Jersey, Connecticut and the West Indies.
When the academy system was discontinued by the state, the building served different purposes over the years, from a community center to a playhouse. It was restored in 1921 and today it's a museum featuring rotating art and history exhibits, and the Mimi Meehan Native Plant Garden open during daylight hours.