by: Sophie Gayot
To make our annual list of the Top 5 Rising Chefs in the US, there are two rules: the chefs have to be under 30, and have to be quite talented, with expectation of a bright future in the highest echelon of the culinary world.
Watch my exclusive video interview above with chef Jordan Kahn of Red Medicine in Beverly Hills, and see why we made him one of our selections.
The other awards listed in the GAYOT.com 2011 Restaurant Issue are:
– Top 40 Restaurants in the U.S., Nine of these did not appear on last year’s list, and three of those are gracing the list for the very first time.
– U.S. Restaurateur of the Year–
Top 40 Cheap Eats in the U.S. — good choices for the budget-conscious.
– Top 10 New Restaurants in the U.S. — a great future, either for their cuisine, ambience, location, or a combination of all three.
– Top 10 Steakhouses in the U.S. — which celebrity chefs make the best steak?
– Top 10 Hotel Restaurants in the U.S. — Only 3 remain from last year.
– Top 10 Insider Picks in the U.S. — published for the first time, this list reveals where to dine for a taste of local flavor, good food and good times.
– Culinary Trends for 2011.
We look forward to your feedback and suggestions in the “Leave a comment” area below (click on the “Continue reading” link, if necessary) or in our Top 40 Restaurant forum.
You can click on each photo to enlarge to see dishes from Red Medicine restaurant menu. All photos by Sophie Gayot.
The silverware are presented on the table in a mug
The bar at Red Medicine
The dining room of Red Medicine
Coconut bavarois with coffee, condensed milk, Thai basil, peanut croquant and chicory
Bitter chocolate with kecap manis, oats, pear, parsnip and brown butter
Black currant-lychee with avocado, violets, crème de cassis, gentian and hyssop
Lemongrass pot de crème with sweet potato, orange blossom, Red Bull and bergamot
Lime sabayon with cucumber ice cream, cashew macaroons, white chocolate and jasmine
Pork with caramelized black vinegar and honey, prunes, sorrel and dried almond
Blue Lantern Bay scallops, braised radishes, beurre blanc, fish sauce, sea buckthorn and nasturtium
Pintade fermier slow-cooked in caramel, cinnamon, dandelion, coriander and crispy onion roots
Wild striped bass with brown butter soy milk, verbena, pomelo and lettuce stems
Kelley’s Mom’s Farm Egg with brassicas, pickled rose hips, chili, fried garlic and boiled peanuts
Green papaya with pickled roots, crispy taro, tree nuts, nuoc cham
Foie gras with pâté de campagne
Amberjack cured with lime leaf, radishes, charred cucumber and pine needle
Brussels sprouts with caramelized shallots, fish sauce and vermouth