- No categories
by Sophie Gayot
It seems that chef José Andrés and his culinary team love truffles — and I am glad that they do. Last October, SAAM restaurant, the chef’s tasting room at The Bazaar at SLS Hotel at Beverly Hills, started the second annual Truffle Season Dinner Series with a meal featuring white truffles.
But since black is beautiful, last week the restaurant started offering the black truffle experience. Throughout the 18-course prix-fixe menu, priced at $250 with wine pairings available, diners can discover the culinary creativity and talents of José Andrés, R & D chef Aitor Zabala, chef de cuisine Holly Jivin, and pastry chef Kriss Harvey.
by Sophie Gayot
Since his daily show, the KNX Business Hour, airs locally, we discussed the Los Angeles winners in the following categories:
– Top 40 Restaurants in the US — there were five local winners: Mélisse, Patina, Providence, Spago Beverly Hills, Urasawa
– Top 10 New Restaurants in the US — The Royce was our choice
– Top 10 Steakhouses in the US — CUT at the Beverly Wilshire
– Top 10 Insider Picks in the US — The Bazaar by José Andrés at SLS Hotel at Beverly Hills
– Top 5 Rising Chefs in the US — Chef Jordan Kahn at Red Medicine.
If you missed the show, you can listen to it here.
Volte-face from one of the Voltaggio brothers
by Alain Gayot
A sports recruiter standing on the sidelines can pick out a young athlete and get a feel for his potential performance and ensuing achievements. Meeting Michael Voltaggio was a bit like that. Instantly, we felt that his performance would deliver continued success in his culinary career. He is a tremendous creative asset for any kitchen, and his food is something you look forward to eating time and again even if not all the dishes are successful one hundred percent of the time.