Chocolate Cupcakes with Lite Raspberry Cream Cheese Icing - Recipe
Cup cakes are still all the rage. Our healthy version is less sinful with just 225 calories (pretty good for a cup cake!) thanks to reduced fat cream cheese, low fat buttermilk and fresh raspberries. Try these treats for special events like Mother's Day or any day of the year!
1 3/4 cups flour
1 cup white sugar
3/4 cup cocoa powder
1 1/2 tsp. baking soda
1 1/2 tsp. baking powder
1 tsp. salt
1 1/4 cups low fat buttermilk
1 cup light brown sugar, lightly packed
2 eggs, lightly beaten
1/4 cup canola oil
2 tsp. vanilla extract
1 cup hot black coffee
Cream cheese icing:
1/2 cup reduced fat cream cheese
1 cup confectioner's sugar
1/2 tsp. vanilla
1/2 cup fresh raspberries
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Spray cupcake pan with nonstick spray.
- In large bowl, whisk together flour, white sugar, cocoa powder, baking soda, baking
powder and salt.
- Add buttermilk, brown sugar, eggs, oil and vanilla. Mix well to combine. Whisk in
hot coffee until incorporated.
- Pour batter into pan and bake 20-25 minutes. Cool in the pan for ten minutes, then
remove and let cool completely.
- Meanwhile, prepare icing: in small bowl, mix together all icing ingredients except
raspberries. Beat until light and fluffy. Add fresh raspberries and continue to beat
until well blended. Spread dollop on cooled cupcake, top with fresh raspberry.
Refrigerate until ready to serve.
Calories per serving: 225
Calorie equivalent: Treat
|Recipe created by Paulette Lambert, R.D., C.D.E. (pictured). Lambert is director of nutrition for California Health & Longevity Institute, located within Four Seasons Hotel Westlake Village. With more than 25 years of experience in private practice after an extensive clinical education, Lambert has wide-ranging experience in clinical nutrition and the development of individualized dietary plans.