Crab Chowder - Recipe
2 pieces turkey bacon, nitrate free
8 oz. (2-3 each) Yukon gold potatoes, cut into 1/4-inch pieces
1 Tbsp. olive oil
1/2 medium onion, finely chopped
2 celery ribs, finely chopped
1 cup carrots, finely chopped
1 cup red bell pepper, finely chopped
1 cup dry white wine (can also use reduced sodium, organic chicken broth)
3 green onions, sliced
1 Tbsp. parsley, chopped
1 tsp. dried thyme (or 2 tsp. fresh, chopped)
1 Tbsp. flour
2 cups bottled clam juice (can use reduced sodium, organic chicken broth)
1 cup frozen corn kernels
3 (6 oz. each) cans of crab
2 cups fat-free half & half
1 Tbsp. fresh basil or parsley, chopped
Whole grain toast (optional)
- Microwave turkey bacon on paper towel for 2 minutes until crisp.
- Place potatoes in large microwavable bowl and steam in microwave until just tender; about 5-7 minutes.
- Heat olive oil in large soup pot. Add onion, celery, carrots, and red bell pepper. Sauté 5 minutes.
- Add wine, green onions, parsley, and thyme. Cook 5 minutes until liquid is evaporated.
- Add flour and cook 1 minute. Add clam juice, diced potatoes, corn, and crab. Simmer 5 minutes.
- Add crumbled bacon and fat-free half & half. Simmer 5 minutes and season with salt and pepper. Garnish with basil and serve with whole grain toast.
Calories per serving: 270
Calorie equivalent: 40 oz. protein, 1 carbohydrate, 1 vegetable
|Recipe created by Paulette Lambert, R.D., C.D.E. (pictured). Lambert is director of nutrition for California Health & Longevity Institute, located within Four Seasons Hotel Westlake Village. With more than 25 years of experience in private practice after an extensive clinical education, Lambert has wide-ranging experience in clinical nutrition and the development of individualized dietary plans.