Grilled Portobello Mushroom Burgers - Recipe
All dressed up without the greasy meat patty, this grilled sandwich is a lighter and healthier alternative to most fatty burgers. Stacked with veggies and tasty Portobello mushrooms that soak up all of the juicy grilled flavors, it is the perfect summer barbeque alternative for those who want to look and feel great in their bikini-clad figures.
4 Large Portobello mushroom caps, 5 in. in diameter
1/3 cup balsamic vinegar
1/2 cup water
2 tsp. sugar
1 Tbsp. chopped garlic
1/4 tsp. cayenne pepper
1 Tbsp. olive oil
4 slices provolone cheese
4 whole-wheat buns, toasted
4 slices vine-ripe tomato
4 thin slices red onion
2 bib lettuce leaves, halved
1. Clean mushrooms with a damp cloth and remove stems. Place in a large bowl, stem (gill) side up.
2. To prepare the marinade, in a small bowl whisk together the vinegar, water, sugar, garlic, cayenne pepper and olive oil. Drizzle over the mushrooms. Cover and marinate in the refrigerator for 1 hour, turning mushrooms once.
3. Preheat grill to medium-high heat.
4. Remove mushrooms from marinade, and grill over medium heat until tender, about 5 minutes each side. Baste with marinade to keep from drying out. Add cheese and remove to plate as soon as melted.
5. Place each mushroom on a bun and top with 1 tomato slice, 1 onion slice and 1/2 lettuce leaf. Serve immediately.
Calories per serving: 320
Calorie equivalent: 1 oz. protein, 2 carbohydrates, 2 vegetables
|Recipe created by Paulette Lambert, R.D., C.D.E. (pictured). Lambert is director of nutrition for California Health & Longevity Institute, located within Four Seasons Hotel Westlake Village. With more than 25 years of experience in private practice after an extensive clinical education, Lambert has wide-ranging experience in clinical nutrition and the development of individualized dietary plans.