Ladies Who Lunch
by Sophie Gayot
What happens when ladies go to lunch together, especially if some of them are French? Chances are they will be talking about food, and how to stay thin.
This is what happened to me when Mireille Guiliano, the author of “French Women Don’t Get Fat,” was in Los Angeles to present her new book, “The French Women Don’t Get Fat Cookbook.” The book is, of course, a logical sequel to the first one. Guiliano tested all the recipes: 150 new ones and eight classics from the first book.
I got to taste some of them, executed not by Guiliano but by chef James Overbaugh from The Belvedere restaurant at The Peninsula Beverly Hills, and they were quite delicious and light.
The menu was composed of:
- Shaved fennel and citrus salad, recipe page 74,
- Mâche, celeriac and beet salad, recipe page 72,
- Haricots verts salad with cherries and almonds, recipe page 78,
- Chicken à la tunisienne, recipe page 149,
- Quinoa with peas and favas, recipe page 127,
- Tuna with green sauce, recipe page 144,
- Duet of chocolate mousse & yogurt and oatmeal cake, recipes pages 203 & 199.
Now it’s my turn to open the book and start cooking so I don’t get fat!
You can click on each photo to enlarge. All food shots by Sophie Gayot.