Cocktails for Derby Day, May 1, 2021
Since we can’t all go to Louisville, KY, for the Kentucky Derby at Churchill Downs, let’s celebrate this 2.0 km (one and a quarter miles) race for three-year-old thoroughbreds with these cocktails,
The Royal Thai Spice Julep
– 2 oz. bourbon
– 1 oz. kaffir lime juice
– 2 basil leaves
– 10 mint leaves
– ½ teaspoon Thai spice (see below)
– 1 teaspoon confectioners’ sugar
– Thai spice blend:
– a dash of each: lemon powder, sea salt, chili powder, ground ginger, mustard seed, clove
• For the Thai spice: Grind spices for 20 seconds in a coffee/spice grinder
• Shake all ingredients furiously over ice in a cocktail shaker and strain over crushed ice in Julep Cup
• Top with whole chilis and fresh mint or basil and lime
> Bartender’s tip: Standard ice cubes can be pounded in a cloth bag with a hammer or use a crushed ice machine.
This cocktail is brought to you by Aidan Demarest, Director of Nightlife at Sofitel Los Angeles at Beverly Hills
Derby Day (non-alcoholic)
– 2 oz. Earthen
– 1 oz. simple syrup
– 8-10 mint leaves
• Add all ingredients to a shaker and muddle for 1 minute.
• Pour over crushed ice.
• Add fresh mint for garnish.
This cocktail is brought to you by Wilderton, a portfolio of non-alcoholic, zero calorie and gluten-free botanical spirits.