Celebrate National Rum Month in August
National Rum Month is complemented by National Rum Day on August 16th
To celebrate National Rum Month and National Rum Day, we have partnered with Ron Abuelo. This Panamanian rum company was established in 1908 with the first sugar mill in the recently independent country; its first rum was produced in 1960. Ron Abuelo specializes in aged rums.
Below find two cocktail ideas and food pairing suggestions.
Aged rum, fresh lime, mint and Champagne or sparkling wine come together for a refreshing libation that highlights Ron Abuelo 12 Años.
– 1 1/2 oz. Ron Abuelo 12 Años
– 3/4 oz. fresh lime juice
– 3/4 oz. simple syrup
– 4 dashes Angostura bitters
– 8-10 fresh mint leaves
• Shake and double strain ingredients into a coupette or large flute.
• Top off with chilled Champagne or dry sparkling wine, stir gently.
• Garnish with an orange peel and/or fresh sprig of mint.
The Perfect Serve
A middle point between a cocktail and a neat spirit, this drink intensifies the rum’s profile without being invasive by highlighting the flavors and any subtle or hidden aromas.
– peated whiskey
– 2 oz. of Ron Abuelo Two Oaks XII Años
– 2 coffee beans
– orange peel
• Spray a tumbler with the whiskey
• Pour the rum into the glass with ice
• Float the two coffee beans and the orange peel
Rum Food Pairing Suggestions
While rum can be enjoyed many ways, pairing aged rums with food brings forth another dimension of flavor, heightening enjoyment with each sip and bite.
• Savory Pairing: Raw seafood such as salmon or tuna tartare
• Sweet Pairing: Dark chocolate with sea salt
> Cristobal Srokowski, Ron Abuelo Global Brand Ambassador: “To find the best pairings, numerous tastings took place with chefs and friends in the gastronomy sector. We wanted to offer a new perspective in rum tasting, one that connected palates from Panama to Europe through a gastronomical experience that pairs our spirits with a range of foods from traditional sweet options such as dessert and chocolate, but also savory and perhaps surprising food pairings as well.”
> For more information, visit Ron Abuelo official website