Chickpea Beet Sandwich Recipe
A tasty sandwich is always good. This one gets even better as one of its ingredients is a plant-based “mayo” that is made with chickpeas, resulting in a smooth and rich texture. And you will be even more pleased after learning that this Cucumber Dill Mayo by O’dang is vegan, egg-free, dairy-free, non-GMO, gluten-free, kosher and is low in sodium with just 90 calories per serving. I have experienced it just as a spread on a baguette, and it is quite addictive — next time I will try it on pasta.
> Until May 4, 2021, Buy ONE Get ONE FREE with coupon code CHICKPEA..
– 1 beet (peeled)
– 1 cup chickpeas (cooked; canned is fine)
– 2 tablespoons tahini
– 2 tablespoons parsley (chopped)
– 1/4 cup breadcrumbs
– 1 teaspoon cumin
– 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
– salt (to taste)
– black pepper (to taste)
– 8 slices bread
– 1 cup spinach
– 4 slices feta cheese (approximately 1 ounce each, at room temperature)
– 3 tablespoons olive oil
– 1 tablespoon za’atar (more or less as needed)
– 1 tablespoon of O’dang Cucumber Dill Mayo
• Preheat the oven to 375° F.
• Peel and quarter the beet and add it to a food processor. Pulse a few times to break up the beet.
• Add the chickpeas and tahini sauce and pulse a few times.
• Add the parsley, breadcrumbs, cumin and garlic powder. Pulse a few more times to combine then season with salt and pepper to taste.
• Divide the dough into four parts and form patties about 1/2-inch thick.
• Place on a baking sheet lined with parchment paper and bake for 15 minutes on one side.
• Flip and bake for an additional 15 minutes.
• Remove from the oven and turn the temperature up to 400° F.
• Prepare the sandwiches by spreading bread with O’dang Cucumber Dill Mayo.
• Then add an equal amount of baby spinach leaves to four slices of the bread.
• Top each with a beet and chickpea patty followed by a slice of the feta cheese.
• Drizzle approximately one teaspoon of olive oil over each, sprinkle on some za’atar and top with the remaining four slices of bread.
• Drizzle the tops of each sandwich with the remaining olive oil.
• Place on the same baking sheet the patties were on and return to the oven for an additional 15 to 20 minutes or until the bread is a light golden brown and the cheese has started to melt.