Vegetable Bolognese Ragu Recipe
· ¼ cup turnips, peeled and diced
· ¼ cup carrots, peeled and cut on a bias
· ¼ cup leek, sliced across (white and pale green parts only)
· ¼ cup fennel, diced
· ¼ cup celery, peeled and chopped
· ¼ cup celery root, peeled and diced
· ¼ cup rutabaga, peeled and diced
· ¼ cup portobello mushrooms, chopped
· 1 tbsp fresh rosemary
· 1 bunch kale, chopped
· 1 qt. vegetable stock
· ¼ cup olive oil
· Salt & pepper
· 1 can or 1 cup fresh cooked chickpeas
· 10 oz Pouch The Jersey Tomato Co. Tomato Basil Sauce
1. Heat 3 tbsp olive oil in a large pot. Sauté the root vegetables a little at a time (so they do not steam). Season with salt & pepper as you go.
2. Heat additional 3 tbsp olive oil in a sauté pan and slowly add the mushrooms in batches, being careful not to crowd the pan. Add the cooked mushrooms to the root veggies. Season with salt and pepper.
3. Add rosemary to the veggies along with the vegetable stock and lower to simmer.
4. Add 10 oz Tomato Basil sauce and let simmer for 10 minutes.
5. Season as desired and serve over pasta or add chickpeas and kale to make a veggie ragu.