Chef Tom Colicchio’s Recipes
3. Chicken Cacciatore
. 6 chicken thighs and legs
. 3 strips thick cut bacon, sliced across
. 1 rib celery, sliced
. 1 small red onion, sliced lengthwise
. 1 red bell pepper, sliced
. 1 fennel bulb, sliced, fronds removed
. 3 garlic cloves, sliced
. ¼ cup olive oil
. 1 qt. chicken stock
. 1 bay leaf
. 1 tbsp fresh rosemary
. ½ red wine vinegar
. 25 oz The Jersey Tomato Co. Marinara Basil Sauce
. ½ cup oil-cured black olives, pits removed
1. Preheat the oven to 350°F.
2. In a large heavy sauté pan, heat the oil over medium-high. Season chicken with salt. Add pieces to the pan and sauté just until brown, about 5 minutes per side. If all the chicken does not fit in the pan, sauté it in 2 batches.
3. Heat remaining olive oil in a large dutch oven or heavy-bottom (oven resistant) pot. Add sliced bacon, celery, onion, garlic, red pepper and fennel. Sweat the veggies such that you do not add color. Once softened, add chicken stock, vinegar, Marinara sauce, bay leaf and rosemary.
4. Place chicken into the casserole dish such that the crisped skin is not submerged in the veggie mixture. Lower to a simmer and add olives.
5. Place casserole dish in the oven for 45 minutes, uncovered.
6. Serve with roasted potatoes.