Wine Rating Guide
GAYOT’s Wine Rating System Explanation
• Our rating system is based on the one used to grade French high school students. It utilizes a 20-point scale, and reflects only the quality of the wine.
• 20 points on our 20-point scale, which we would write as 20/20, represents unattainable perfection which no wine will ever achieve.
• Wines rated at 13/20 and up are good, while the very rare wines rated at 19/20 and 19.5/20 are extraordinary.
• While a 15/20 may look like there is a great deal of room for improvement, that score actually means that the wine is very good, and is in the top ten percent of all wine we taste.
• We assume that only about half of all wines produced around the world receive a passing grade of 10/20 or higher, and we do not bother to post scores below that level.
Take note that we do not take price into account while awarding a wine’s rating.
Key to Our Wine Rating System