Seafood Cioppino Recipe
· 1 fennel bulb, chopped, fronds reserved
· 1 large leek, chopped (white and pale green parts)
· 4 garlic cloves, sliced
· 2 shallots, sliced
· ¼ cup olive oil
· 1 tbsp. fennel seed
· Salt & pepper
· 1 lemon, zest peeled and julienned
· 1 lb mussels
· 18 clams
· 8 sea scallops
· 12 large shrimp, peeled & deveined
· 1 lb monkfish, trimmed and cut in chunks
· ½ cup white wine
· 25 oz Jar The Jersey Tomato Co. Spicy Sauce
1. Heat oil in a dutch oven or heavy-bottomed pot medium heat. Add veggies and let them sweat (do not add color). When the veggies start to sizzle, turn down the heat.
2. Add fennel seed, salt and pepper. Stir and cook until veggies are softened and fragrant.
3. Add ¼ cup white wine.
4. Add clams, cover and steam until they open, approximately 4-5 minutes. Add mussels and lower heat to simmer until all have opened.
5. Add the scallops, monkfish and shrimp.
6. Add Spicy sauce, julienned lemon zest and juice of one lemon.
7. Allow to simmer until seafood is cooked.
8. Garnish with chopped fennel fronds and lemon juice.