Chef Wolfgang Puck’s Sausage, Onion and Exotic Mushroom Dressing
To accompany the traditional Thanksgiving turkey, or to keep warm during the winter months, below is my easy recipe for a dressing that I hope your family and guests will enjoy.
• Find more of GAYOT’s gourmet recipes for Thanksgiving dinner at home.
1 – Custard:
– 3 whole large eggs
– 3 large egg yolks
– 2 cups half-and-half
2 – Filling:
– 8 ounces sweet Italian sausage, cooked and crumbled
– ½ cup onions, diced and cooked
– 2 cups assorted mushrooms, sliced, including portobello, trumpet, oyster, shiitake, shimeji (all these are available in the produce section of your local market)
– 1 cup turkey broth (you can also use vegetable or chicken broth)
– ½ teaspoon sea salt
– ½ teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
– ½ teaspoon nutmeg, freshly grated
– 3 cups bread, cubed and staled
– Pomegranate syrup (for serving)
1 – To make custard:
• Combine eggs and egg yolks in a blender and pulse to combine.
• Add half-and-half and continue pulsing until frothy.
• Refrigerate until ready to use.
2 – To make filling:
• In a large oven-proof skillet or casserole, add sausage meat and cook over medium heat until sizzling.
• Break sausage apart with a wooden spoon and continue cooking until there’s no pink.
• Add onions and continue cooking until they’re soft and aromatic.
• Add mushroom pieces and stir, then add broth as needed until the mushrooms are soft and aromatic.
• Season with salt, pepper and nutmeg.
• Add the stale bread cubes, pour over any remaining broth and stir to soften bread.
• Pour custard over the sausage and bread mixture, pressing down firmly with a spoon to ensure all the bread is covered with custard.
3 – To bake:
• Place skillet or casserole in a preheated 350º oven and bake for 30 to 45 minutes, or until the custard is set.
• Remove from the oven, allow to cool for a few minutes and drizzle with pomegranate syrup.