Vegetable Tian Recipe
For more than twenty years, I have been following a strict no-carb diet. So, you will not find any rice, pasta, potatoes (regular or sweet) or cooked carrots in any of my recipes. I also go easy on salt, like some extra pepper, and make a big detour when bread and sugary things come to the table.
> A NOTE FROM US AT GAYOT.com about Dirk Smits
GAYOT’s Wine & Spirits Editor, Dirk Smits, is also a gourmet. He likes to cook, and is happy to share some of his favorite and personal recipes. They are quite tasty and are simple to execute in the comfort of your own kitchen.
Bring the sun to your table with this dish from Provence.
Serves as many as you want. Buy ingredients as necessary.
– red tomatoes (prefer heirlooms when in season)
– yellow tomatoes (prefer heirlooms when in season)
– goat cheese log(s)
– Fleur de Sel
– olive oil
• To make it easier to slice, put the goat cheese in the freezer for 30 minutes
• Wash the zucchinis and the tomatoes
• Do not peel the zucchinis
• Slice the zucchinis and the tomatoes
• Precook the zucchinis in the microwave for 4 or 5 minutes in a dish that contains water. Once done, drain the water.
• Peel, slice and cook the onions in a pan with olive oil, some Fleur de Sel and pepper. Don’t let them turn brown.
• In a large oven-safe dish, display the slices of tomatoes, zucchini and goat cheese, alternating the layers (see photos)
• Put the thyme on top
• Sprinkle some Fleur de Sel and pepper
• Cook in the oven at 375° F for a minimum 30 minutes, and take it out when the goat cheese starts to turn brown
• Serve warm
Suggested wine pairing: Rosé, Côtes du Rhône, Pinot Noir, Beaujolais, Dolcetto.
> Check out Dirk Smits’ Wine of the Week.